The temperature outside is cooling down and for me my first thought is… comfort food!
As a kid, my mother always threw together mac and cheese with a scratch made cheese sauce, farfalle pasta, and topped it with bread crumbs. Needless to say I’ve loved mac and cheese my whole life. Its definitely one of my favorite comfort foods, and I have prepared it a myriad of ways. Gruyere with basil breadcrumbs, bacon-jalapeño cheddar, pancetta and fontina.. although at the end of the day, my favorite is the way my mother always made it. Rummaging through the fridge and the cabinets after a long day, I decided to make a play on Mac and Cheese with some fun left over items.
I prepared my favorite mac and cheese and topped it with Cheddar Goldfish and Jalapeño Potato Chips to elevate this dish and add a bit of nostalgia.
“Grown Up” Mac & Cheese Serves 4-6 | Prep: 20 mins | Cook time: 45 mins
1 box farfalle pasta
8 ounces shredded colby jack
8 ounces sharp cheddar, cubed
1 stick salted butter + 1 tablespoon
1/2 cup flour
1 qt whole milk
2 T kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg yolk
1 cup Zesty Jalapeño Kettle Potato Chips
1 cup Cheddar flavored Goldfish
- To start off this meal, mince the garlic and hold aside. Gather all ingredients you will need so you can prepare the meal quickly.
- I like to boil the pasta first, then prepare the sauce in the same pot so I have less dishes at the end for cleanup.
- Boil your farfalle in a large pot of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it into your baking dish.
- Make your cheese sauce. To start place the stick of butter into pot and melt it, add your garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add your flour and use a whisk to combine to create a roux. Over medium heat, cook the roux for 2 minutes, whisking to prevent sticking.
- Next slowly whisk the milk in to fully combine.
- Turn your heat up, add the 2 T of kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue to stir for about 10 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Whip up your egg yolk, and whisk it into the sauce. This will make it velvety and smooth.
- Add the colby jack cheese and whisk to combine.
- Turn off the heat. Cube up the 8 ounces of sharp cheddar. Toss it into the pasta in the baking pan.
- Pour the cheese sauce over, and stir to mix everything together evenly.
- Now make your topping. Crush your chips and goldfish together until their finely ground.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and pour it over the topping. Mix together to make “buttered breadcrumbs”
- Shake topping evenly over the pasta.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until golden brown.
My camera is nowhere to be found, so using my iPhone! Apologize for lousy photos… but the dish is delicious!
Thank you for reading, enjoy and email me if you have any questions or concerns.