Farm Style Apple Pie with Streusel topping
Apple Pie Filling
- 8-12 farm fresh apples, peeled and sliced. I used a mix of sweet and tart apples. Gala, Macoun, Granny Smith, Empire, and Jonagold Gold apples.
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- Peel and core apples, slice the apples and place in a bowl with the lemon juice
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the apples, toss to combine.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes for flavors combine.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pulse walnuts, sugars, flour, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor.
- Add butter, and pulse until a crumbly shaggy mess with crumbles.
- Keep chilled until place on top of the pie.
Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 sticks very cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 3-6 tablespoons ice cold water
- Dice the butter and keep cold.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl
- Add ice cold butter and pulse until the mixture is the size of peas.
- Pour the ice water in one tablespoon at a time, pulsing, until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled roll a a floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut to fit your pie dish, and place on the pie dish.
- Use your fingers to crimp the edges to finish the crust.
Dump the apples into the pie crust, dot with pats of butter, lightly pack the crumb topping on top.
Bake at 350 for an hour, if the topping starts to get too dark, cover with foil and continue to bake.
Cook pie until the apples are soft but still have texture, and the crumb topping is golden brown and delicious.